Can you exercise while being ill?
When you’re feeling under the weather, does activity help or hinder? Most sport science experts agree you can still work out when you’re sick — as long as you listen to your body and not push it!
I’m no expert but when I feel like 🤧🤒 I don’t feel like doing shit!
There are studies that show that exercise is beneficial because it can boost your immune system before, during and after sickness. But of course, use common sense!! If you have a chronic health condition, such as asthma, you may want to consult your doctor first before you start any exercise. Or any other injuries!!!
Exercise boosts the immune system!
Exercise allows your white blood cells to circulate faster throughout the body (no need for RedBull), and white blood cells are the immune warriors that fight off infections. So you can do Warrior classes and you can “fight off” bad guys as well! Badass inside and out! 💪🏻💪🏻 Regular and moderate exercise lowers the risk for respiratory infections and that consistent exercise can enhance health and help prevent disease.
Strong body = strong heart! ❤️
Working out almost daily at a moderate pace (🤨🙄yes yes - yoga and Zumba can! 🤐) can help keep your immune system strong. But overtraining and pushing yourself too hard for too long can decrease the levels of IgA, which are antibodies on the mucosal membranes, such as the respiratory tract 😫 These antibodies are needed to battle bacteria and viruses.
So, you can exercise when:
- You have a garden-variety cold but no fever. Exercise can help relieve you from stuffiness by opening up your nasal passages. You better wear a face mask when you sneeze thou! 😷
- Your symptoms are above the neck like a runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing or a slight sore throat. 🤧
Stay in your bed when:
- You have a fever, discomfort in your chest, or difficulty breathing 😵
- Your symptoms are below the neck, such as chest congestion, a hacking cough or an upset stomach 😪🤮
- You are tired, you’re running a fever, or you’re especially achy. Exercising during this time increases the risk of dehydration, and can worsen or lengthen the duration of your cold. Not worth it!
Needless to mention that you will spread your germs and get others sick as well!
Sooooooo, exercising during a cold can be beneficial, but don’t push it. The important thing is to listen to your body.🤓
Have a wonderful germ-free day! Peace out!
The best free walking tour in Budapest14-06-201913 mins read
Tips for a professional model photoshoot05-07-20198 mins read
How to use Depth of Field in photography?10-07-20195 mins read
How to get rid of water retention?28-07-20196 mins read